Welcome!

As a council we are successfully lifting our city's reputation. We must continue to invest in city improvements, while sensibly monitoring our debt levels. Our portfolio structure allows us to communicate and listen to your views.

As your representative I am committed to all of these and passionate about cleaner lakes and inner city revitalisation. This includes safer cycling, city art and public-private partnerships with iwi investment.

Thursday 15 August 2013

Get the Message?

Yesterday I attended Adding Sustainable Value, a sustainability course with  RDC staff members Niki Carling and Monika Quirke.  Niki is using the RDC Cycling Strategic review as her case study to do a process map.  After a full day of analysing we recognised that communication with our community is at the heart of many our issues.  

We have been trying to do this better and follow the rules, but people still believe that we fail to engage.  We feel that we have consulted with the community, but still get asked: When? With whom? How?

There is a better way and I believe if there is a willingness to try a different model and I believe we will all benefit.  

Niki is pictured here in front of one of the slides that I will be using to explain this concept to my colleagues and promote a better way of consulting.  One that is actually meaningful and works.  

We have some work ahead of us to make the shift, I plan to initiate some changes.  Let me know what would work for you and please keep the feedback coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment