Welcome!

As a council we are successfully lifting our city's reputation. We must continue to invest in city improvements, while sensibly monitoring our debt levels. Our portfolio structure allows us to communicate and listen to your views.

As your representative I am committed to all of these and passionate about cleaner lakes and inner city revitalisation. This includes safer cycling, city art and public-private partnerships with iwi investment.

Sunday 18 April 2010

My Rubbish Trip To The South Island

I know most people go to  the South Island to enjoy the beautiful scenery and over Easter I got the chance to do plenty of that.  However,  I also spent some time looking at rubbish; how it was collected, what containers were used and more importantly what systems of recycling were being used in various places.

Fortunately no one questioned me as I poked my nose into other people’s rubbish.  In Temuka I saw a new product that had been specifically designed to meet the waste needs of the residents in that community. 

Temuka is part of the Timaru District Council and has a three wheelie bin collection in place.  One for  non-recyclable waste, one for recyclable waste and one for green waste.   In Temuka not all the residents had room for three separate bins and a new Ecocart was developed to help address this issue. 

The Ecocart is compact, serves as its own storage rack and has three compartments that can be labeled according to the needs of the community.  The wheels make it easy to move to and from the kerb.  The whole look is very neat and tidy. 

We have yet to read all the submissions for and against  kerbside collection, however once the community has been heard, I believe that a good system can be developed and other communities’ solutions may provide useful guidance. 

Remember to have your say and make your submission by 4pm on  7th May.

No comments:

Post a Comment